This site is the homepage of the Metadata Interrogator (MI) – a portable, offline tool for quickly analysing EXIF, XMP, IPTC and other metadata from files. The goal is to try to scrape absolutely any metadata available from any type of file.
Why another Exif/metadata reader?
There are many options for exif/metadata retrieval, but none quite hit my requirements.
Offline exif readers tended to be geared just towards photos or lacked an easy to use interface, whilst online applications for reading and analysing EXIF data were not suitable from a security point of view or for machines without an internet connection. There was also a need for a program that tries to grab ALL metadata, regardless of file type or convention.
- Grabs any and all possible metadata from a wide range of files.
- Graphical User Interface.
- Completely portable.
- Offline GPS resolving (as of version 0.2).
- Flags potential items of interest (photoshopping, named file author etc.)
- Full set of data tools (subtables, plotting, aggregating etc.)
- Timeline and file comparison tools (as of version 0.4).
- Easy to export data for further analysis/reports.
Download it for free here:
- v0.7 released! - It’s been a while but here’s a new release! I’ve added in a new passport MRZ resolver as it’s been quite a requested function – most of the ones available are online only and whilst I’m sure they don’t scrape any data, it’s always good to be careful. IPTC and PDF metadata was a little […]
- Interview on Forensic Focus - I’ve recently had the pleasure of being interviewed by Forensic Focus! Have a read of the interview at the link below: https://forensicfocus.com/c/aid=309/interviews/2019/benjamin-creator-of-metadata-interrogator/
- Social Engineering – basically just fraud. - I’ve been doing Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) gathering professionally for quite a while now – back from the days where it was just a GeoCities check to see if the subject had been ridiculous enough to create a page dedicated to their criminal enterprise (surprisingly/unsurprisingly, this was very common). However, I’ve only recently shuffled my […]
- The road map from v0.6 to v0.7 - Version 0.6 has been a bit of a turning point for the project – I’d say that Metadata Interrogator now does what I wanted it to do when I set out to create it. I wouldn’t say it’s reached ‘v1.0’ yet, but it analyses a whole raft of metadata above just the usual EXIF data, […]
- v0.6 Released! - This release is a particularly big one (like the last) and has some major changes in it. Firstly, I’m now using matplotlib for the analysis timeline, so it looks much, much better and allows for things like colour coding. Whilst it does bring with it a small performance drop, I’ll be using it for more […]